Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sean Tyas Interview

http://trance.nu/v3/interview_show.php?id=260/
Sean Tyas is an American trance producer and DJ who has had many hits including “Lift” and famous remixes of Sander Van Doorn’s Punk’d and Mike Foyle’s Shipwrecked. Tyas most recently appeared on Armin Van Buuren’s 300th episode celebration of the “A State of Trance” weekly radio show, and spun an hour long set. His works can be found on Armin’s Armada label as well as John Askew’s Discover. His latest track Candida is available now on BeatPort.com and Trackitdown.net, coming out in the near future: Drop, Sean Tyas presents Logistic-One More Night, and his remix of Thomas Datt’s 2v2007. Tyas will be appearing at Dance Valley in the Netherlands this summer.

Trance.nu says:
Hello Sean, where are you from and where do you live now
Sean tyas says:
Originally I'm from New York, and now I'm living in St. Gallen, Switzerland.
Trance.nu says:
Why Switzerland?
Sean tyas says:
Well at first it was Cologne, Germany, but had a more stable offer from Moonman Productions here in Switzerland, and since I was already dating my now-wife Mirella, who is Swiss, it seemed a no-brainer to drop everything and just move.
Trance.nu says:
How did you first discover electronic music?
Sean tyas says:
My uncle gave me a cassette tape in 1990 of the various mixes of Apotheosis O'Fortuna. I think there were 3 mixes total. I loved them so much I actually just made another cassette with the 3 mixes and listened over and over to both sides and would literally listen to these mixes all day! Hadn't heard anything like it until then.
Trance.nu says:
First of all would you rather be considered a DJ or producer
Sean tyas says:
Producer more than DJ, though it gets more and more enjoyable to DJ each time.
Trance.nu says:
So how did you take that 1st step from fan to producer?
Sean tyas says:
About 7 years ago I guess, I finally decided to install Cubase VST/24 and buy a Yamaha AN1x . At the time I had limited knowledge about anything, but figured eh, just suck it up and get started. It wasn't too long before I started opening up more credit cards just to feed this growing addiction of gear-whoreishness.
Trance.nu says:
Has having producers like Markus Schulz and Christopher Lawrence from the States, made it easier for you, as an American, to break into the trance scene
Sean tyas says:
Hmm as successful and skilled as they are, America still is really not known as being a trance generating country. I think in any country it's never easy per-se to break into the scene. But like anything in life... You beat on that wall long enough, it's gonna come down.
Trance.nu says:
Was the success of "Lift" surprising for you and how did it change things in terms of your music career
Sean tyas says:
It just brought whatever I was doing at the time directly into the limelight due to the surprisingly amazing play listing it received. That one track basically and oddly began my DJ career.
Trance.nu says:
How can you go from being where you’re at now, to the "star" status of an Armin, Tiesto, etc?
Sean tyas says:
No need, I love where I am now. I just want stability, quality, and consistency and I'm really satisfied.
Trance.nu says:
I was at your show in NYC and I noticed something unusual for our scene, your father was there supporting you, Is your family a big part of your music?
Sean tyas says:
When I'm in New York, both of my brothers and usually both parents are there to support. It's really amazing to even have my parents there; I think they finally see the reason I used to terrorize them by shaking the house all day when I was living home.
Trance.nu says:
Tell us about how important your website and other online networking tools are?
Sean tyas says:
Its a terrific tool for getting correct and official info directly out there. Though it's such a strange phenomenon, MySpace, in that now every artist's MySpace page is essentially more important than their own professionally done websites!! It's just a very positive and good environment
Trance.nu says:
Since I am writing this for trance.nu which is known for its coverage of the entire scene worldwide, but its forums/message boards are big part of the site as well, tell me your feelings about forums
Sean tyas says:
They are different now than 6-7 years ago. I think back then it was very positive because it was filled with people that actually went out and enjoy the clubs, and really just enjoyed the night life by dancing. Now those same people still roam the boards, but they are also filled with many people that forgot that, well, this scene is supposed to be fun, and not to be taken so seriously.

www.seantyasmusic.com
www.myspace.com/seantyas

No comments: